And then suddely, the brother of the Speedy featured below dropped by at SpeedyWatches HQ: the vibrant Mark II Racing reference 318.104.22.168.06.001!
Just a different dial?
It’s remarkable how much a different dial can change the looks of a watch. While the ‘soldier shots’ above make it seem like just another dial, the Racing version of the MKII really has a character of its own.
The 322.214.171.124.01.001 is dark – all business with just enough of that retro vibe. The slightly coloured luminova adds a dash of colour to an otherwise monochrome design. The 3126.96.36.199.06.001 on the other hand, with its fluorescent orange details, has really got that seventies show going on. It’s funky without being obnoxious.
Did we mention the sandwich tachymeter ring already? No? Well, it’s killer. The numerals are cut-out with lumi below. The numerals are thus lighting up at night when properly charged, enabling you to measure your speed even in low light conditions. This sounds rather foolish – we agree. But it is still pretty cool 🙂 .
Since we now had the chance to fiddle with both versions of the Speedmaster Mark II, a few key observations seem in place:
- Black dial looks better in pics and is easier to love, but the Mark II Racing ‘pops’ on the wrist. It has great presence.
- The date window is much more noticeable on the Racing. It blends in on the black dial. Pro or con? You decide.
- The eye is drawn to the dial on the Mark II Racing. It is simply beautiful. On the other hand, the wonderful cash finish is more obvious on the black version, as the dial attracts less attention.
- The separation of timing hands (orange) and timekeeping hands (white) on the Racing is one of the details that we really like. One might note that the vintage MKII Racing in our post below doesn’t have the proper distinction – a sign of exchanged hands.
- Omega Speedmaster Mark II Racing press release
- Omega Speedmaster Mark II Black live
- Omega Speedmaster Mark II Racing in our database
- Omega Speedmaster Mark II Black in our database
- Omega Speedmaster Mark II Racing price at Authorized Dealer
- Omega Speedmaster Mark II Black price at Authorized Dealer